Links to poetry prompts online
(Don’t be put off by some of the dates for these poetry prompts online: these sites are timeless resources!)
- Donna Vorreyer’s archives:
- Robert Peake’s poetry prompt generator (active)
- Kelli Russell Agodon’s prompts for
- Emilia Phillips’ “Creative Writing Exercises” (active)
- Official NaPoWriMo’s prompts for
- Bernadette Mayer’s writing experiments ideas
- Robert Lee Brewer’s Poetic Asides November PAD challenge prompts for
- Robert Lee Brewer’s Poetic Asides “Wednesday Writing Prompts” (active)
- The Poetry Prompts tumblr (active)
- Sunday Scribblings (archived/available through 2013)
- The Time is Now writing prompts from Poets & Writers (active)
- Three Word Wednesday (archived/available through June 2017)
- We Write Poems prompts (archived through 2014)
- Creative Writing Now prompts for poetry (archive)
- Melissa Donovan’s Writing Forward poetry prompts (active)
- tweetspeak’s poetry prompts (active)
- @Gyroscopereview’s #promptsforpoets (active; Twitter)
- Poets United Midweek Motif (active)
- dVerse Poets Pub (active)
- writing prompts facebook page (active)
Tell me in the comments what I should add to this list.
(I’ll update the post with your ideas as we go!)
People either love prompts or they hate ’em. I’m clearly a big fan. I’ve been using, writing and sharing prompts (like these) since my earliest days networking online (2003?). The old prompt list I’d published here wasn’t *that* old, but it did date back to 2013. So! It was time for an update. I removed those that were totally defunct (as in no longer available online) and expanded those where more was available than I’d originally shared.
The image in this post is a mural I photographed during a stop in Turners Falls, MA.
Thank you for including Gyroscope Review! Wow, we are in amazing company in this list. Go poets!
I love that you’re providing the prompts on Twitter! & pretty much daily*? Kudos!!
*weekly (still fun & impressive!)
Add Midweek Motif at Poets United.
ADDED – thanks, Susan!
And there is also dVerse Poets Pub with regularly scheduled activities.
ADDED – thanks!!
Cool. Thank. I love prompts too.
That should be “Thanks.” 🙂
Gr8 prompts…! I live them all..!😊😊
A poetry lover here